How do you compose transforms after registration to perform resampling?

I have a question that has already been asked at least twice (here and here) but got no explicit answer. Like their original authors, I’m struggling to understand how to compose the fixed initial, moving initial, and optimized transforms after registration to then resample the moving image. I’ll explain below everything that I understood, please tell me where I made a mistake.

From the documentation of SimpleITK, we can read that the final transform that maps points from the fixed to moving image domains is: T_{\text{opt}}\circ T_\text{m}\circ T_\text{f}^{-1}. Indeed, this is confirmed by one of SimpleITK tutorial notebooks that illustrates the different transformations using the following image:

From that, I understand that T_\text{f} goes from virtual to fixed image domains, T_\text{m} goes from virtual to moving image domains, and T_\text{opt} goes from moving to moving image domains.

Now, SimpleITK’s documentation also explains the following about CompositeTransform:

represents multiple transformations applied one after the other T_0(T_1(T_2(... T_n(p) ...))). The semantics are stack based, that is, first in last applied:

composite_transform = CompositeTransform([T0, T1])
composite_transform.AddTransform(T2)

If I follow this correctly, after registration of two images, creating the final transform from T_\text{f}, T_\text{m}, and T_\text{opt} using a CompositeTransform would be simply:

composite_transform = CompositeTransform(registration_method.GetInitialTransform())
composite_transform.AddTransform(registration_method.GetMovingInitialTransform())
composite_transform.AddTransform(registration_method.GetFixedInitialTransform().GetInverse())

The optimized transform was added first in the stack, so it will be applied last, as described in the documentation. We should thus obtain T_{\text{opt}}\circ T_\text{m}\circ T_\text{f}^{-1}. The following example notebook also confirms that the transforms should be composed in this order.

In theory, all is well! Problems arise when you dive a bit deeper into the documentation and try to apply all of this on actual images.

• First, reading section 3.2 of the ITK software guide and one of ITK’s examples, we find contradicting code:

CompositeTransformType = itk.CompositeTransform[itk.D, Dimension]
    outputCompositeTransform = CompositeTransformType.New()
    outputCompositeTransform.AddTransform(movingInitialTransform)
    outputCompositeTransform.AddTransform(registration.GetModifiableTransform())

resampler = itk.ResampleImageFilter.New(
        Input=movingImage,
        Transform=outputCompositeTransform,
        UseReferenceImage=True,
        ReferenceImage=fixedImage,
    )

Here, the moving initial transform is added before the optimized transform! Could this be because ITK and SimpleITK have contradictory definitions of CompositeTransform? From ITK’s documentation of CompositeTransform, I would think that a reverse queue is actually a stack and that their definitions are the same, but ITK’s guide seems to contradict SimpleITK’s documentation, so I might be wrong somewhere…

• Using actual images, composing transforms like described in SimpleITK’s documentation does not work when using a moving initial transform that contains a flip (negative zoom) along one axis. This is fixed by composing them like described in ITK’s documentation. I’ll post a reproducible example ASAP.

Could you please help me figure out where I go wrong?

Here’s a reproducible example.

I have one 3D image consisting of 6 slices. I will perform the registration of this image on itself while adding artificial fixed and moving initial transforms that will make the initial overlap pretty poor: the affine registration will then try to fix this misalignment. These artificial transforms consists in simple translations, and a flip along one axis for the moving image.

Below is the code for loading the images, defining the artificial initial transforms, and comparing the misaligned images in the fixed physical space:

import numpy as np
import SimpleITK as sitk
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

def compare_images(fixed, moving):
    """Plot fixed image, moving image, and checkerboard comparison."""
    fig = plt.figure(layout="tight", figsize=(10, 4), dpi=200)
    subfigs = fig.subfigures(1, 3, wspace=0.2)

axes = subfigs[0].subplots(3, 2)
    subfigs[0].suptitle("Fixed", y=1.02)

for index, ax in enumerate(axes.ravel()):
        ax.imshow(
            np.rot90(sitk.GetArrayFromImage(fixed).T[:, index]),
            aspect=.5
        )
        ax.axis(False)

axes = subfigs[1].subplots(3, 2)
    subfigs[1].suptitle("Moving", y=1.02)

ax.imshow(
            np.rot90(sitk.GetArrayFromImage(moving).T[:, index]),
            aspect=.5
        )
        ax.axis(False)

axes = subfigs[2].subplots(3, 2)
    subfigs[2].suptitle("Comparison", y=1.02)

chekerboard_image = sitk.CheckerBoard(moving, fixed, (4,4,4))
        ax.imshow(
            np.rot90(sitk.GetArrayFromImage(chekerboard_image).T[:, index]),
            aspect=.5
        )
        ax.axis(False)

fixed_image = sitk.ReadImage("image.nii")
fixed_image.SetDirection(np.eye(3).flatten())
fixed_image.SetOrigin((0, 0, 0))
moving_image = sitk.ReadImage("image.nii")
moving_image.SetDirection(np.eye(3).flatten())
moving_image.SetOrigin((0, 0, 0))

initialization = np.eye(4)
initialization[2, 3] = -2
fixed_initial_transform = sitk.AffineTransform(
    initialization[:3, :3].flatten(), initialization[:3, 3], (0,) * 3
)

resampled_fixed_image = sitk.Resample(
    fixed_image,
    referenceImage=fixed_image,
    transform=fixed_initial_transform,
    interpolator=sitk.sitkLinear,
    outputPixelType=fixed_image.GetPixelID(),
)

initialization = np.eye(4)
initialization[0, 0] = -1
initialization[0, 3] = 50 * moving_image.GetSpacing()[0]
initialization[2, 3] = 2
moving_initial_transform = sitk.AffineTransform(
    initialization[:3, :3].flatten(), initialization[:3, 3], (0,) * 3
)

resampled_moving_image = sitk.Resample(
    moving_image,
    transform=moving_initial_transform,
    outputPixelType=moving_image.GetPixelID(),
)

compare_images(resampled_fixed_image, resampled_moving_image)

Now comes the actual registration. I’m optimizing a simple affine transforms and using the artificial moving and fixed initial transforms:

registration_method = sitk.ImageRegistrationMethod()

optimized_transform = sitk.AffineTransform(3)

registration_method.SetFixedInitialTransform(fixed_initial_transform)
registration_method.SetMovingInitialTransform(moving_initial_transform)

registration_method.SetMetricAsCorrelation()
registration_method.SetInterpolator(sitk.sitkLinear)

registration_method.SetOptimizerAsGradientDescent(
    learningRate=1,
    numberOfIterations=500,
    convergenceMinimumValue=1e-6,
    convergenceWindowSize=50,
    estimateLearningRate=registration_method.EachIteration,
)
registration_method.SetOptimizerScalesFromPhysicalShift()
registration_method.SetInitialTransform(optimized_transform)

registration_method.Execute(fixed_image, moving_image)
print(registration_method.GetMetricValue())

The registration ends with a final metric value of -0.75, which is satisfactory. Note that I don’t expect the optimized transform to fix the flip that I introduced in the moving initial transform.

Now to the resampling. Creating a composite transform from the initial and optimized transforms like described in SimpleITK’s documentation leads to this:

composite_transform = sitk.CompositeTransform(
    [
        optimized_transform,
        registration_method.GetMovingInitialTransform(),
        registration_method.GetFixedInitialTransform().GetInverse(),
    ]
)

moving_image,
    transform=composite_transform,
)

compare_images(fixed_image, resampled_moving_image)

There’s something obviously wrong here. Now, let’s try reversing the order of the transforms in the CompositeTransforms to match what’s described in ITK’s documentation:

[
        optimized_transform
    ]
)

moving_image,
    transform=composite_transform,
)

compare_images(fixed_image, resampled_moving_image)

Way better! But where did I go wrong? Why can’t I follow SimpleITK’s documentation on how to compose transforms?
image.nii (429.3 KB)

One final point that confuses me even more: the documentation of sitk.CompositeTransform reads:

The only parameters of the transform at the back of the queue are exposed and optimizable for registration.

Also,

Transforms are added via AddTransform(). This adds the transforms to the back of the queue.

If we go back to my initial message and SimpleITK’s way of creating the composite transform after registration:

composite_transform = CompositeTransform(registration_method.GetInitialTransform())
composite_transform.AddTransform(registration_method.GetMovingInitialTransform())
composite_transform.AddTransform(registration_method.GetFixedInitialTransform().GetInverse())

We see a problem here. If I had created this composite transform myself before registration and passed it as initial transform, the fixed initial transform would get optimized since it was added last and is therefore at the back of the queue!

Now I’m even more at a loss. Could someone please help me solve my misunderstandings?

After some further research, I think there might be an error in most of SimpleITK’s documentation and courses: the order of transform composition after registration is wrong. It was actually already noticed by the two Discourse posts I linked above (here and here). I’ve opened an issue on SimpleITK’s repo about this error.

In the above example does the following also result in good visual results:

[
        optimized_transform,
    ]
)

This gives even better results. Actually, I was still a bit confused about the correct ordering of transforms when I wrote my initial post, but the order you propose, i.e.

[
        optimized_transform,
    ]
)

is actually the correct one, since it corresponds to T_\text{m}\circ T_\text{opt}\circ T^{-1}_\text{f}, which is the order described in ITK’s book. The one I used in my example above, i.e.

[
        optimized_transform,
    ]
)

corresponds to T^{-1}_\text{f}\circ T_\text{m}\circ T_\text{opt} and does not really make sense. It works because the fixed initial transform T_\text{f} is only a small translation, but it would fail if fixed_initial_transform was set to something more complex (ie. scaling and/or rotation).

For completeness, here’s a few examples using the following initial transforms, both fixed and moving containing zooms and translations:

The registration is still successful with a final metric of -0.77.

Composition using T_\text{opt}\circ T_\text{m}\circ T_\text{f}^{-1}, i.e. as specified in SimpleITK’s docs leads to:

[
        optimized_transform,
    ]
)

Composition like my previous example using T_\text{f}^{-1}\circ T_\text{m}\circ T_\text{opt}, which does not really make sense, leads to

[
        optimized_transform
    ]
)

And composition using T_\text{m}\circ T_\text{opt}\circ T_\text{f}^{-1}, i.e. like you proposed (and given in ITK’s book 2, page 208), leads to

[
        optimized_transform,
    ]
)

The latter seems to me like the correct resampling.