upgrading programs written with old itk versions

Dear all,

I have been using itk/vtk/fltk for many years. Due to job changes, I was not touching itk since 2017. Within multiple projects, I will be coming back to itk the next period. However, I have here another questions.

In frame of some research projects in the period 2002-2014, I wrote several relatively large solutions using itk/vtk/fltk. The versions working for these solutions were

ITK 3.20.1, vtk 5.6, fltk 1.1.10, and InsightApplications 3.20.0.

The reason I was using InsightApplications ist the my slice viewers were using classes were using classes in Insightapplication/auxiliary.

Now, I tried to bring my programs to work. I noticed that InsightApplications are no more there. Does this mean that the only chance to reanimate the environment is to used the 10 years old releases of the libraries? what is the new concept regarding the InsightApplications of that time.

Much thanks,

Zein

Dear Zein,

Welcome back and welcome to the ITK Discourse :slight_smile:

Now, I tried to bring my programs to work. I noticed that InsightApplications are no more there.

Correct. The most recent version is here:

but it is no longer supported.

Does this mean that the only chance to reanimate the environment is to used the 10 years old releases of the libraries?

FLTK is difficult to build, and VTK has changed dramatically since 5.6. The ITK-based code can be brought up to date, but some work will required to build with modern compilers and update to changes in the ITK API. The ITK 4 Migration Guide and the ITK 5 Migration Guide will be helpful.

what is the new concept regarding the InsightApplications of that time.

You may consider building an application from itkwidgets, which is a modern approach.

1 Like