SimpleITK on alternate HW arches (ppc64le/aarch64)

(Jayfurmanek) #1

Hi ITK community!
I’ve been running SimpleITK on ppc64le (IBM Power9 systems) and it builds and runs great. I was thinking it would be easier to contribute back for me and my team if there was a Travis job that would build on ppc64le like there is on Circle for the other arch’s. Travis does have ppc64le build queues now (conda-forge uses it).

I see there is a (old and probably unused) .travis file in the repo already. That could be a starting point.

Is there any interest in this for ppc64le and/or for other alternate architectures like aarch64 (ARM)?

thanks!

2 Likes
(Bradley Lowekamp) #2

Hello jayfurmanek,

Cool! Glad to hear you are having success with ITK!

It would be a great contribution to enable Power 9 build when topics are merged in to master.

I’d recommend enabling the travis on your fork and starting to test it there. Building SimpleITK is time consuming and I don’t know how the travis systems will perform. I’d start with enabling shared libraries and disabling all wrapping i.e. BUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON and WRAP_DEFAULT:BOOL=OFF. Also make sure you are using all the cores during the build with the “-j” make file flag.

(Jayfurmanek) #3

Cool. I’ll give it a shot on a fork and let you know.

1 Like
(Jayfurmanek) #4

Quick question:
Does the conda build (https://github.com/SimpleITK/SimpleITKCondaRecipe) get kicked off from the circleCI builds, or is that just done manually at release time?

(Bradley Lowekamp) #5

Those are just done manually at release time. We may explore using Azure Pipelines in the future.

(Jayfurmanek) #6

Gotcha. The conda recipe builds on ppc64le without any changes. If those builds get patched in, we could have Travis build the ppc64le conda packages as well.