Parts of registered images missing.

Greetings!
I am a uni student relatively new to image/file processing. I am encountering something which I view as an issue during the processing of my 3D images. For the record, what I do with the original DICOM images, is that I turn them into numpy arrays, and combine arrays corresponding to different slice locations into a volume. I have a number of these 3D arrays, which thus form a time dependent dataset. These volumes are stored in a folder in an input direcotry, and I would like to register them using SimpleITK’s functions. This is my code:

import os
import numpy as np
import SimpleITK as sitk
import shutil

def register_images(input_dir, output_dir):
    # Create the output directory if it doesn't exist
    if not os.path.exists(output_dir):
        os.makedirs(output_dir)

# Get a list of all files in the input directory
    file_list = os.listdir(input_dir)

file_number_str = [x[7:-4] for x in file_list]
    file_number_int = list(map(int, file_number_str))
    file_number_int_sorted, file_list = (list(t) for t in zip(*sorted(zip(file_number_int, file_list))))
    volumes = []

# Load the first image as the reference image
    ref_array = np.load(os.path.join(input_dir, file_list[0]))
    ref_image = sitk.GetImageFromArray(ref_array)

# Copy the reference volume to the output directory
    ref_output_path = os.path.join(output_dir, file_list[0])
    shutil.copy(os.path.join(input_dir, file_list[0]), ref_output_path)
    print(f"Reference volume copied to: {ref_output_path}")

# Set up the registration parameters
    registration_method = sitk.ImageRegistrationMethod()
    registration_method.SetMetricAsMeanSquares()
    registration_method.SetOptimizerAsRegularStepGradientDescent(learningRate=0.1, minStep=1e-4, numberOfIterations=1000)
    registration_method.SetInitialTransform(sitk.Euler3DTransform())

# Register each subsequent image to the reference image
    for file_name in file_list[1:]:
        file_path = os.path.join(input_dir, file_name)
        moving_array = np.load(file_path)
        moving_image = sitk.GetImageFromArray(moving_array)

# Perform registration
        final_transform = registration_method.Execute(ref_image, moving_image)

# Apply the transform to the moving image
        registered_image = sitk.Resample(moving_image, ref_image, final_transform, sitk.sitkLinear, 0, moving_image.GetPixelID())

# Save the registered image to the output directory
        output_path = os.path.join(output_dir, file_name)
        registered_array = sitk.GetArrayFromImage(registered_image)
        np.save(output_path, registered_array)
        print(f"Registered image saved: {output_path}")

print("Registration and saving completed successfully.")

input_directory = r'path\to\input\folder'
output_directory = r'path\to\output\folder'

register_images(input_directory, output_directory)

The problem is that parts of the images seem to vanish after I try yo plot them (or make an animation to showcase the registration). Is this something that is a result of the resampling, the registration method, or is there fundamentally something wrong with my code?
Thanks in advance for your response, have a great day!
PS: this is what some of the images that miss parts look like, so that you can you see what I mean:
Good image
Bad images

Hello @RobertTheSquirrel,

Registration itself is the estimation of a transformation which maps points from one coordinate system to another. What we do with this transformation afterwards varies. In many cases we just resample the moving image onto the fixed image grid. This enables integration of complementary information from multiple imaging modalities. This can obviously lead to truncation of data as points that are in the moving image which map outside the fixed image grid are ignored. This is likely what you are experiencing.

For an example of resampling onto a different grid, see this jupyter notebook, specifically the function create_images_in_shared_coordinate_system.

Thanks for your response. Doesn’t this line:

registered_image = sitk.Resample(moving_image, ref_image, final_transform, sitk.sitkLinear, 0, moving_image.GetPixelID())

make it so that the effect you mentionned (points being displaced due to registration at "locations’’ in the moving image grid where they then don’t contribute to the registered image) does not happen? Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance for your response!

Hello @RobertTheSquirrel,

The resampling is using the ref_image as the resampling grid, so no. Hopefully the following figure clarifies things:

2 Likes