Issue with mesh points interpolation from nifti DVF image volume

Hi,

I have generated deformed 3D-CT versions and corresponding deformation vector field (DVF) volumes of a given nifti image volume (reference image 3D-CT volume) using another tool. I then extracted the liver mesh from the binary mask image volume obtained by segmenting the liver region from the reference image volume. They are perfectly align one another when I visualized it through using the 3D slicer.

Next, I apply corresponding DVF by first extracting displacement field and then apply the transform matrix to each and every point in the reference mesh to deform so that they also be able to align with the corresponding deformed CT volumes (you can see the code below).

(This means that given a physical point and displacement vector field, I apply the transformation defined by the displacement field to that point.)

However, I’ve encountered an issue where, in some deformed instances, the corresponding deformed mesh does not align as expected. I suspect that this discrepancy could be attributed to linear interpolation during the TransformPoint process using Simple ITK. I’m keen to understand if there’s a solution for this issue or if there’s something I might have done wrong in the process ?

For further context, I’ve attached sample data which includes two deformed 3D CTs and their corresponding DVFs. The first case demonstrates correct deformation, while the second does not. Additionally, I’ve included a visualization in 3D Slicer for reference.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance to address this concern and resolve this alignment issue. Your insights would be invaluable in helping me to resolve this issue.

def generateDeformedMeshesFromITKDVFs(data_dir, reference_image_physical_points, reference_mesh):

folder_list = os.listdir(data_dir)

for i, folder_name in enumerate(folder_list):
        main_folder_path = os.path.join(data_dir, folder_name)
        dvf_folder_path = os.path.join(main_folder_path, 'ITK_DVFs')

# create a folder to save deformed meshes for each case
        deformed_mesh_path = os.path.join(main_folder_path, 'deformedMeshes')

if(not os.path.exists(deformed_mesh_path)):
            os.mkdir(deformed_mesh_path)

dvf_vol_names = [x for x in os.listdir(dvf_folder_path) if x.endswith(".nii.gz")]

for j, relative_dvf_path in enumerate(dvf_vol_names):
            dvf_img_path = os.path.join(dvf_folder_path, relative_dvf_path)
            # read dvf image volume which is in nifti format with dim 5
            dvf_image = sitk.ReadImage(dvf_img_path)

corrected_dvf_image = sitk.Compose(
                [
                    sitk.VectorIndexSelectionCast(dvf_image, 0, sitk.sitkFloat64),
                    sitk.VectorIndexSelectionCast(dvf_image, 1, sitk.sitkFloat64),
                    sitk.VectorIndexSelectionCast(dvf_image, 2, sitk.sitkFloat64),
                ]
            )

#create the SimpleITK representation of the DVF transformation, which differs from the dvf_image
            # generate displacement vector field
            sitk_dvf = sitk.DisplacementFieldTransform(reference_image_physical_points - corrected_dvf_image)

reference_mesh_duplicate = copy.deepcopy(reference_mesh)

transformed_physical_points = []

# transform each point in the mesh using a displacement field
            for index in range(0, reference_mesh_duplicate.points.shape[0]):
                transformed_physical_points.append(sitk_dvf.TransformPoint(reference_mesh_duplicate.points[index]))

# convert the list of tuples into 2D numpy array
            list_tuples_to_numpy_2d_array = np.array([*transformed_physical_points])
            # assign trasnformed points as the new mesh points to teh copy of a reference mesh
            reference_mesh_duplicate.points = list_tuples_to_numpy_2d_array

dvf_img_name_split = relative_dvf_path.split('DVF', 1)
            new_mesh_name_with_ext = dvf_img_name_split[0] + 'simDyn' + dvf_img_name_split[1].rsplit('.', 2)[0] + '.vtk'
            new_mesh_save_path = os.path.join(deformed_mesh_path, new_mesh_name_with_ext)

# write new mesh to the disk using meshio
            meshio.write(new_mesh_save_path, reference_mesh_duplicate, binary=False)

reference_image = sitk.ReadImage('./SIMPLE_ITK_SAMPLE_DATA_MESH_INTERPOALTION/reference_image/MCR.nii.gz')

reference_image_physical_points = sitk.PhysicalPointSource(outputPixelType = sitk.sitkVectorFloat64,
size = reference_image.GetSize(),
origin = reference_image.GetOrigin(),
spacing = reference_image.GetSpacing(),
direction = reference_image.GetDirection())

reference_mesh = meshio.read('./SIMPLE_ITK_SAMPLE_DATA_MESH_INTERPOALTION/reference_mesh/MCR.vtk')

datadir = './SIMPLE_ITK_SAMPLE_DATA_MESH_INTERPOALTION/deformed_cts_dvfs'

Hello @isuruwi,

As we do not know how the displacement fields were created I am going to make an educated guess, you likely need to use the inverse to transform the mesh.

Resampling uses an inverse mapping, so if you used the transform in resampling to create the second volume, you will need to use its inverse to map the segmentation (see this notebook for details on inverting a displacement field, Inverting bounded transforms).

With respect to the DisplacementFieldTransform interpolator, you can set it using the SetInterpolator method and use higher order interpolation, various options listed here.

Hi Ziv,

I attempt to change the interpolator by setting B-Spline transform, however they are not supported with the DisplacementFieldTransform interpolator. I tested with BSpline1, BSpline2 and BSpline. All these settings gave the same issue. What kind of higher order interpolation methods does this interpoaltor support ?

Any help would be appriciated.

RuntimeError: Exception thrown in SimpleITK DisplacementFieldTransform_SetInterpolator: D:\a\1\sitk\Code\Common\src\sitkDisplacementFieldTransform.cxx:128:
sitk::ERROR: Interpolator type BSpline is not supported!

Yes, 3D Slicer does this automatically. When you apply a transform to an image and a mesh, it automatically inverts the transform on-the-fly. This is an essential feature that is available in VTK and it would be very important to have it in ITK. Computing the inverse of an entire dense displacement field is just so slow and impractical (computation time is magnitudes longer, require a large memory/storage space) that it is not really a solution.

@zivy the new round of CZI EOSS has just been announced. Bringing VTK transformation infrastructure into ITK could be a good candidate project (at least the dynamic computation of inverse and smooth convergence to zero at transformation domain boundary should be available in ITK, but ideally a common transformation library could be created that would be used by both ITK and VTK).

3 Likes

The SimpleITK code related to this is here:

Only support for sitkLinear, and NearestNeighbor is available. The code using ITK’s Vector interpolators which only has those two available and no higher order interpolation methods.