Integrating with a PACS system

Hello,

Does ITK provide APIs or classes that I can use to communicate with a PACS/DICOM server? If not, does the GDCM library that ships with ITK provide this functionality? If yes either way, do we have C++ examples somewhere that I can look at for this?

Even a simple example that extracts one DICOM attribute of a specific patient from a DICOM server will do. I did find a simple Python example here that uses GDCM Python library:
http://gdcm.sourceforge.net/html/FindAllPatientName_8py-example.html

I’m looking for confirmation and examples that I can access such capabilities from ITK in my C++ application.

Thanks,
–Fijoy

Hello Fijoy,

As far as I know, ITK does not expose any of these functionalities that are part of GDCM and DCMTK. You should be able to do what you want using either of these libraries though.

Best,
Francois

1 Like

Hi Francois,

So I can include some GDCM headers in my application, use those GDCM classes, and compile it against my ITK installation to send/receive data from PACS? Are there examples for this?

Thanks,
–Fijoy

I don’t know of any example. However, in this case, you may want to build GDCM outside of ITK and then set its path when configuring ITK with ITK_USE_SYSTEM_GDCM set to ON. This should allow you have have access to the GDCM package through CMake when calling find_package(GDCM) in your own CMakeLists.txt. I don’t think GDCM is pruned when integrated in ITK, so if you don’t need any CMake information for your project, that may not be necessary

1 Like