Installation problem (ITK3.2.0 in Linux)

hi,
i am a beginner to ITK, now I am installing itk(3.2) vtk(5.8) in my Linux. and I meet some problem. I even do not know how to solve it. I have successfully installed the latest version ITK and vtk, however the latest version does does not contain some of the .h files. the procedure I follow is:mkdir ITK-bin and cd ITK-bin, cmake …/Insight-3.2.0 and make then the problem occurs:
In file included from /usr/local/ITK/InsightToolkit-3.20.1/Utilities/vxl/vcl/vcl_iosfwd.h:8:0,
from /usr/local/ITK/InsightToolkit-3.20.1/Utilities/vxl/vcl/vcl_iostream.h:28,
from /usr/local/ITK/InsightToolkit-3.20.1/Utilities/vxl/vcl/vcl_deprecated.cxx:4:
/usr/local/ITK/InsightToolkit-3.20.1/Utilities/vxl/vcl/vcl_compiler.h:123:4: error: #error “Dunno about this gcc”

error “Dunno about this gcc”

^

Utilities/vxl/vcl/CMakeFiles/itkvcl.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target ‘Utilities/vxl/vcl/CMakeFiles/itkvcl.dir/vcl_deprecated.o’ failed
make[2]: *** [Utilities/vxl/vcl/CMakeFiles/itkvcl.dir/vcl_deprecated.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2120: recipe for target ‘Utilities/vxl/vcl/CMakeFiles/itkvcl.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [Utilities/vxl/vcl/CMakeFiles/itkvcl.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:160: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
lh@101:/usr/local/ITK/ITK-bin$
can you tell me how to solve this problem

1 Like

Just guessing (not an expert in Linux; have not checked the VXL file at issue), but may be the dependencies or compiler macros in ITK 3.20 are too old for the gcc you have in your box?

You may want to read Chapter 2 of the ITK SW Guide if you haven’t already.

You may also download ITK packages for Linux distributions. Read the Download.md file.

BTW, is there any special reason why you would be using ITK 3.20 instead of the latest stable release ITK 4.13.0?

Note that you will need to use/have a more modern CMake and VTK versions too.

1 Like

What compiler are you using? What is it’s specific version?

Hi @jhlegarreta @blowekamp ,
I am having a similar issue. I need ITK-v3.20 because the software that I am trying to install has includes that are deprecated in the new ITK versions, such as #include "itkAnalyzeImageIO.h"(link to software: FLeX by SunnyBrook Research Institute).
To combat the issue posted, I install gcc-version 4.8.5 to install ITK and FLeX. When I make my FLeX-build/ I receive the following error:
/home/howlb/Documents/wmh/ITK-v3.20/Code/Common/itkMacro.h:50:12: fatal error: strstream.h: No such file or directory 50 | # include <strstream.h>

@howlbradl Not sure I can be of much help here, as I do not have the resources to dig into this (e.g. I use Windows to contribute to ITK), but ITK 3.20 dates back to July, 15th 2010, and GCC 4.8.5 was released on June 23, 2015. Not sure if that can explain the issue. Maybe investigating (issues, PRs, Kitware blog announcement, ITK SW Guide changes, etc.) which GCC compiler versions were being tested with ITK 3.20 would help.

2 Likes