Handling of combined accents by ITK system tools

Hello everyone,

I’m using the itksys tools to do some file parsing and I’ve encountered a nasty problem with some filepaths containing accented characters.
For example I have this folder name in my database : “aorte_déroulée”. It appears that in fact, the “é” symbol is a “e” char followed by a combining acute accent char (I think that data came from a MacOS station).
When using itksys::Directory::Load() on the parent folder, the given string is then “aorte_de´roule´e”, which is fine. Problem is that this path is not recognized as valid afterward: using itksys::Directory::Load("[…]/aorte_de´roule´e") or itksys::SystemTools::FileIsDirectory("[…]/aorte_de´roule´e") fails. Replacing directly by the full char “é” in the string doesn’t help either.

Any insights on why it’s happening and how to fix it ?
(I can rename the folder with the accented letter char, then it will be correctly processed but I can’t control the file naming in my application)

Tim

EDIT: It appears to be a Windows-specific issue, as tests on MacOS and Linux run fine. I’ve tracked down the problem to:

• itksys::Directory::Load() fails on (Directory.cxx, l 121)
  srchHandle = _wfindfirst_func(
    (wchar_t*)Encoding::ToWindowsExtendedPath(buf).c_str(), &data);

where srchHandle is -1

• itksys::SystemTools::FileIsDirectory fails on (SystemTools.cxx, l 2902)
  DWORD attr =
    GetFileAttributesW(Encoding::ToWindowsExtendedPath(name).c_str());

where attr == INVALID_FILE_ATTRIBUTES

Hi Tim,

Could you please test with this PR that updates KWSys?

If there still are issues, we can fix KWSys.

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

I’ve tried the current master state this morning ; it doesn’t fix this specific problem :smile:.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for testing :+1:

Is it possible to create a test that reproduces the issue?

Thanks,
Matt

Sure !

Here it is:
CombinedAccents_TestCase.zip (1.9 KB)
It’s a very simple case, it should output the name of the accented folder, but it does not.

Tim

2 Likes

Thanks, Tim!

I created this issue to track this:

1 Like

You’re welcome, thanks a million for the help.

Tim

@tim-evain please review the PR 546. You can find more information in the issue comments.

1 Like

@dzenanz I’ve just tried on Windows, but switching the default codepage has solved the issue :+1:.
I will try with other OS whenever I get a chance.

Thank you and @brad.king for looking into this.

Tim

@tim-evain do you have a GitHub profile? If so it would be good if you formally approved the PR.

I do. I see the PR is closed now. Sorry for the delayed answer.
I will try to do so next time; but can I do it as a non-member of the ISC ?

I think you can. I think anyone can review a PR. But it takes an approving review from someone with write access to enable the green merge button.