Compilers that do not support bool are not supported

Perhaps I can include it in a new post:
CMakeOutput.log (35.2 KB)

The last part of CMakeError.log seems the most useful. The root cause is:

'C:\ITK\Modules\ThirdParty\KWSys\src\KWSys\kwsysPlatformTestsCXX.cxx': No such file or directory

The file mentioned exists in my source directory, but it looks like it doesn’t in yours. Perhaps your download was incomplete? Or you accidentally deleted some files? If your source directory is managed by git, can you do a git reset --hard v4.13.1?

Hi - I’ve tried as you have suggested and I still get the same error.
I’ve set up another machine with fresh installs of everything and I’m getting the same error on that machine too…

I would try another compiler, but I’ve not had much luck with MinGW either.

For reference, I’ve tried using both the v4.13.1 and v4.12.2 tags of ITK

Here’s the output when using the ninja build system

CMakeError.log (35.0 KB)
CMakeOutput.log (8.3 KB)

Ninja gives pretty much the same error: ninja: error: 'C:/Users/Tom/code/ITK/Modules/ThirdParty/KWSys/src/KWSys/kwsysPlatformTestsCXX.cxx', needed by 'CMakeFiles/cmTC_732dd.dir/kwsysPlatformTestsCXX.cxx.obj', missing and no known rule to make it. Can you please check whether that file really exists? Perhaps an antivirus is messing with it, or something else?

Sorry that you are experiencing so much difficulty, @Tom_Hampshire.

As @dzenanz notes, it sounds like there is problems accessing the source files.

Antivirus has resulted in similar frustrating behavior in the past.

Also, configuring Windows to support long paths is also worth investigating. It is described in this post:

I can confirm that the file exists in that path

Hi both:
To elaborate on my previous post:

• I have checked that the file that is ‘missing’. It is not missing, it is present at the path specified by the error message
  • I don’t have any antivirus software installed (I turned off Windows Defender)
  • I have enabled long paths in Windows 10
  • I tried moving the ITK source and build paths to c:\ITK and c:\itk_build respectively

… unfortunately, I am out of any further things to try. Have you got any other ideas?

Hi,
look at ITK.log file (first in this thread), very strange problems began before “bool not supported” issue

– Checking whether header cstdio is available
– Checking whether header cstdio is available - no
– Checking for Large File Support
– Checking for Large File Support - failed to compile
– Checking whether C++ compiler has ‘long long’
– Checking whether C++ compiler has ‘long long’ - no
– Checking whether C++ compiler has ‘__int64’
– Checking whether C++ compiler has ‘__int64’ - no
– Checking whether wstring is available
– Checking whether wstring is available - no
– Checking whether C compiler has ptrdiff_t in stddef.h
– Checking whether C compiler has ptrdiff_t in stddef.h - no
– Checking whether C compiler has ssize_t in unistd.h
– Checking whether C compiler has ssize_t in unistd.h - no
– Checking whether C compiler has clock_gettime
– Checking whether C compiler has clock_gettime - no

Regards,
M

1 Like

I have uninstalled VS 2017 and installed Visual Studio Build Tools 2017 15.8.3.
I get exactly the same problem as before…

I can’t be the only one having this problem. I’m working with a fresh install of Windows 10.

Sorry, i can only guess, may be i am wrong, From logs i saw issues happen with C++, C seems to work.
May be this is applicable:

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/254351/visual-studio-build-tools-2017-1571-missing-visual.html

one more link (may be related, may be not, oh)

1 Like

With a fresh install of Win10, ITK 4.13.1 and VS 2017.8.3 I can configure ITK normally.

As @mihail.isakov suggested, make sure that the Visual Studio install includes

• MSBuild
  • Visual Studio C++ Support
  • The Windows SDK

I have these installed:

Only a small fraction of that is needed. This is what I have.

I’m still having trouble compiling, so I just installed everything to check if there wasn’t something I was missing out… Still no joy

Do you have Desktop development with C++? That is kind of the main thing and I don’t see it on your list. Visual Studio C++ core features is probably it, but it will not hurt if you select Desktop as well.

1 Like

This time around I didn’t install the desktop tools (IDE, etc), I’m just using the command line / build toolchain.

I’ve managed to almost build ITK using MinGW64. Unfortunately, libTIFF will not compile otherwise everything else compiles successfully. There’s definitely something weird going on with VS, although no combination of installed tools seems to be helping at all. I’ve even tried using different versions of the toolchain specified with vcvarsall but still with no success :frowning:

Sorry this build has been so difficult, @Tom_Hampshire. Your persistence is impressive! :persevere:

There is something odd going on; if we let it rest and come back later, maybe it will reveal itself.

In the meantime, we can fix up the MinGW64 build and run with it.

I started a local build…

1 Like